If you’re looking for a good value, low cost garbage disposal unit, then this InSinkErator model might make a good choice. It’s also backed by a two year guarantee and, although it does not score as highly with existing users with a rating of 3.6 out of 5 at Amazon.com, it is a popular model.
Let’s get on to this unit’s feature set. If you’re looking for a mid-range, low cost and compact food waste disposer that can tackle most of the waste from an average family, this InSinkErator Badger 5 model could work well in your kitchen. For a larger family, you might want to look at the more powerful Waste King L-8000 or InSinkErator Evolution Excel models.
Features of the InSinkErator Badger 5 1/2 HP
- It is a mid-range model in features and size (eg it weighs in at 13 pounds compared to the lightweight Waste King L-2600 at 9.9 pounds)
- The design is compact, making it a good choice for smaller kitchens which have space restrictions under the sink
- The main components of the L-2600 are made from galvanized steel, so no worries about corrosion or rust (but compare this with longer-lasting stainless steel construction of more expensive models)
- The Badger 5 uses a single grinder mechanism to crush and grind a range of typical food waste – larger, more expensive models use two or three stage grinder mechanisms to near-liquify waste.
- The Badger 5 is designed to be installed very easily, with a simple three-bolt locking mechanism (so if you already have a Badger, replacing it for a new unit is really quick).
- Electrical connections are designed to be wired to a wall-mounted switch
- In case the unit jams, InSinkErator include a plastic wrench to manually turn the grinder mechanism and so help free up whatever is stuck inside.
- A 2 year mechanical warranty
- Height 13 inches
- Width 7 inches